JESUS / Drowning /100% / iPhone 12 mini


Jesus calms the storm with power over the deep . . .


Matthew 8:23-27 NLT

Then Jesus got into the boat and started across the lake with his disciples. Suddenly a terrible storm came up, with waves breaking into the boat.

But

Jesus was sleeping.

The disciples went to Him and woke Him up, shouting, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"

And Jesus answered, "Why are you afraid? You have so little faith!" Then He stood up and rebuked the wind and waves, and suddenly all was calm. The disciples just sat there in awe. "Who IS this?" they asked themselves. "Even the wind and waves obey Him!"


In The Daily Study Bible, The Gospel of Matthew by William Barclay, he repeats a story about this lake by Dr. W. M. Christie. Dr. Christie told of a company of visitors standing on the shore at Tiberias, noting the glassy surface of the water and the smallness of the lake. They expressed doubts as to the possibility of such storms as those described above in the gospels.

Almost immediately the wind sprang up. In twenty minutes the sea was white with foam-crested waves. Great billows broke over the towers at the corner of the city walls, and the visitors were compelled to seek shelter from the blinding spray, though now 200 yards from the lakeside.

In less than half an hour the placid sunshine had become a raging storm.


That is what happened to Jesus and His disciples. The word storm in the Greek is called a seismos, a word for earthquake. The waves were so high that the boat was hidden (kaluptestthai) as the crest of the waves towered over them.


Now, for some this above is a nice story, but may cause questions as to why Jesus lets US NOW go through the storms of life.

Even I could ask . . . why my son drown a year ago this month shortly before his birthday on the 27th. There were marches and chaos in that area at the time. You can see posts about him on my blog.


Yesterday I heard a Mom on TV saying she needed to know. She needed to know exactly how the situation went down when her child died. The police held back and she wanted to know why. I do understand how she feels but I don't think knowing why will help her in her grief.


I recently heard about the Marines and how they are trained using "70%" to make decisions. (I know it seems like I am all over the place with this particular blog, but hang in there, I do have a point.)


My iPhone 12 mini (I told Jerry) would be my last iPhone because it was small and that was the one I wanted. It has been a nightmare. It periodically locks up for no apparent reason and is unusable until it decides to let me use it again. The last time it did that lasted all day. It has one of the screens where you

A tilt the phone toward you to turn it on because it has no home button

B slide your finger upward to change the screen


I want to go back to an iPhone that has the old fashioned dependable button. What percentage would you guess that Verizon will both allow me to do that while trading in the faulty phone, yet not charge me for the trade? Having taken on Sears many years ago and lost, I would say way less than 70%.


Here's my point: Proverbs 3:17. Her ways are way of pleasantness, and ALL her paths are peace.

Did you get that? It is talking about God's wisdom and God's understanding and God's peace. Now if it said 99%, someone would surely say, ok, I'll take my chances and go against God for that 1 %. Not me.

100% of God's ways are a sure thing. Not that bad things won't happen to me. But that Jesus will be with me (in the form of the Holy Spirit within me).


He was in the boat with the disciples. The God-man was in their boat! That is the reason He said 'Why are you afraid?"


The God-man is with me. The God-man is either with you if you are a Christian or He is willing to be if you want Him to be and you are born again.


"Wherever Jesus is the storm of life will become a calm / in His presence there is peace, whatever storms may blow / In every storm that shakes the human heart there is peace with Jesus Christ." William Barclay








4 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All